Asus thinks we're insignificant.
Join Today
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Images

Asus thinks we're insignificant.

So as you may know, I was a big fan of the new ASUS ROG Swift PG278Q. For those who aren't familiar with it, it's this 27" 1440p 120Hz+ beast with Displayport and GSYNC and etc. It is absolutely beautiful, as you can see:
    ROG-SWIFT-PG278Q_RIGHT[1].jpg

Now the problem is two-fold. One is that it's a TN display. I consider that a tradeoff. You get lower image quality, for a faster and more fluid panel. And it's a native 8-bit panel, instead of the traditional 6-bit TN's. This one fact I can try to overlook. However...the main issue, is that the monitor is being released with a heavy Matte panel. So you go from an IPS or PLS glossy display currently, with rich vibrant colours, to a matte TN display.

That's a complete no-go for me. So I posed a question to Asus. The first thing they replied with is general marketing BS:

"Based on the feedback of ownser of IPS/PLS and TN panels we have produced the majority of users have not had negative feedback about the Polarizer used ( and generally are not even aware of it ). "

Now...you'd think that he's saying people like us have barely even noticed the matte polarizer used. But he doesn't mention users of Glossy displays. He only mentions IPS/PLS/TN users. They may have surveyed only people who have Matte displays. Either way I still don't buy it.

He then goes on to compare the difference between Matte and Glossy displays with PWM lighting preference, as you can see here:

"All in all this something specific to users and does not have a consistently present level of feedback across the majority of users. This similar to how many users are not bothered by PWM flicker but there are some users very sensitive to it. As a whole feedback on the current type of AG Polarizers has been solid with minimal negative feedback."

When I mentioned that the screen being both TN and having a Matte Anti-Glare filter will discourage many people who have purchased the various current gen 1440p overclockable displays from moving over. He replied:

" From a volume perspective that quantity of user transitioning form those other monitors is very small and not representative of the majority of the market."

That response seems odd to me as currently, those users (us), happen to be the majority of the $500+ 1440p gaming monitor market. Which is who they are obviously targeting with this monitor. Your average joe blow doesn't spend $800 on a monitor. And people who do spend $800 on a monitor, often have a lot of money invested in their computers. We are enthusiasts. And we care about things like glossy displays.

So at this point I make a recommendation to at least do a limited run of Glossy displays that would be available only through a limited number of channels. He gives me a rather odd response regarding it:

"As to your recommendation of running concurrent models this is complicated as it requires double the investment in the initial design and development and validation. As such it is not a realistic approach. As of now the SWIFT will come with AG Polarizer that i feel confident the majority of users / gamers will be satisfied with. "

I have no idea how they run their business and how they handle development. But we've been dealing with monitors in the same housing, using both glossy and matte ag coatings with no issue. That should be the only difference in the builds. However, they don't seem to see it that way.

So in conclusion...as excited as I was for this display...I am going to have to pass. From what I understand, Nvidia will be designing a displayport gsync board for our LG panels. So there should be an option to upgrade our displays in the future. I had been ready to proclaim the ROG Swift monitor the new king of gaming displays. But due to its price point, and rather severe reduction in image quality due to the use of a TN panel, and a heavy Anti-Glare coating, it will have to remain a "Don't Buy" in my books so long as plans for a GSYNC board for our monitors don't get scrapped.

Thank you, Asus, for making a Niche product (due to the price) while ignoring what the majority of people who have been buying these types of displays at this price point want.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Yes, it certainly seems odd to have a niche product without the niche features, as I see many people requesting glossy of matte. Hopefully the type they use is a kind of in the middle, such as we've seen on some of the IPS monitors as of late. I'm holding my judgement on this one, for now.

As far as the TN, I can understand. Its definitely a gaming monitor, and I can easily tell the testufo tests apart between 120Hz catleap, 120hz average TN, and 120Hz 10% Lightboost. Already, hearing an 8-bit display interests me, but again. I'll want to wait to see independent results.

In the end though, I lovey catleap, and am standing by for that gsync board!
    What's cookin, good lookin?

Didn't know about the matte/AG...definitely a point against this otherwise-tempting display. I'm sure someone out there will attempt to remove the coating somewhere down the line though

Sent from dumbphone (pls excuse typos and dumbness)
    "IT RUNS FINE???!?!?!! FINE!!! I'll GIVE YOU FINE." - whitespider

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HyperMatrix View Post
    So as you may know, I was a big fan of the new ASUS ROG Swift PG278Q. For those who aren't familiar with it, it's this 27" 1440p 120Hz+ beast with Displayport and GSYNC and etc. It is absolutely beautiful, as you can see:
    Attachment 1074

Now the problem is two-fold. One is that it's a TN display. I consider that a tradeoff. You get lower image quality, for a faster and more fluid panel. And it's a native 8-bit panel, instead of the traditional 6-bit TN's. This one fact I can try to overlook. However...the main issue, is that the monitor is being released with a heavy Matte panel. So you go from an IPS or PLS glossy display currently, with rich vibrant colours, to a matte TN display.

I think you're too used to your cheep-o korean lcd's. There's already a market of users who buy high refresh rate monitors with backlight strobes and I think most gsync boards are going to cater to them.

If you want another hack then get the DIY Gsync unit and figure out how to make it run on your Koreak PLS or another display. Do your own board. Look at the cool T221/T220 adapter Cithrix had made or the 12.85" 2560x1700 settup DrinkTea is working on.

Overclocking the PLS panels was a neat trick in 2013, but 1440p is *so* last year. What's the next neat thing? What are you working on?

The matte coating is a little disappointing, yes, but it's also removable if you have the know-how and the dexterity.

Don't moan that "Asus thinks we are insignificant".

Administrator
    Thanks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by orik View Post
    I think you're too used to your cheep-o korean lcd's. There's already a market of users who buy high refresh rate monitors with backlight strobes and I think most gsync boards are going to cater to them.

If you want another hack then get the DIY Gsync unit and figure out how to make it run on your Koreak PLS or another display. Do your own board. Look at the cool T221/T220 adapter Cithrix had made or the 12.85" 2560x1700 settup DrinkTea is working on.

Overclocking the PLS panels was a neat trick in 2013, but 1440p is *so* last year. What's the next neat thing? What are you working on?

The matte coating is a little disappointing, yes, but it's also removable if you have the know-how and the dexterity.

Don't moan that "Asus thinks we are insignificant".

Your comment about cheapo Korean LCD's has no merit. As you're probably aware, the Catleap monitors use the same LG LCD used in Apple's Cinema Display. There is no better 1440p panel out there. Asus isn't addressing the issue of 4K any better than someone like Seiki Digital is. They have a 60Hz 4K panel out, but it requires 2 cables, which means your video cards treat it as a multi-monitor setup, meaning lower performance as a result. And of course their 4K display doesn't have GSYNC.

So what Asus is offering at the moment is the same 1440p resolution that is so Q1 2012. Finally. They give the advantage of GSYNC, but at the loss of IPS image quality due to a TN panel. And further reduced due to the AG coating. Considering Nvidia has plans to produce GSYNC boards for the LG IPS's, I don't see Asus bringing anything revolutionary to the table, with the exception of putting out the product a few months sooner than others. And even then, it's Nvidia's GSYNC board that makes the monitor worthwhile. Not anything Asus has done.

As is my argument...their efforts have been detrimental to the cause of pushing forward graphics quality. Removal of the AG coating would also void your warranty on the product. So essentially you're comparing Glossy IPS (or PLS, I suppose) to Matte TN. Same resolution. Same general refresh rate. But a $500 premium for GSYNC inclusion, compared to current monitor prices.

While the monitor is a step forward from their 1080p offerings, it's still not ideal. As for your question of what the next neat thing is, and what I'm working on, I'm left slightly confused. I'm not a monitor manufacturer. But as consumers, I feel that it's important for our voices to be heard. If it weren't for these cheapo monitors you speak of, 1440p would be an unknown resolution for gaming. 120Hz would be confined to only TN (and only recently VA). 30fps to 60fps caps on gaming would be considered normal. 1080p would still be the standard.

But alas...we are the enthusiast class. We are the ones who pay for the high end niche products. The 1600W PSU, the 5GHz+ CPU's, The $2000 water cooling setups, the $1000/card GTX Titan's. And...the $800 monitors. So yes. I think that we should have a say in this. In this case, I am speaking with my wallet. This monitor by Asus is a step in the right direction. But it is still hard to recommend at $800. And having blind loyalty to any company or product, will only limit innovation and the rate at which the products we want are released. So I find your comment to be offensive, but even moreso I find it to be counterproductive to all of our goals, including your own.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to HyperMatrix For This Useful Post:

benzite (06-23-2014)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackOctagon View Post
    Didn't know about the matte/AG...definitely a point against this otherwise-tempting display. I'm sure someone out there will attempt to remove the coating somewhere down the line though

Sent from dumbphone (pls excuse typos and dumbness)

Vega apparently performs AG coating removal for those who don't want to touch it themselves. However I'm still concerned as doing so would void the warranty.

So are you saying NVidia will be producing a G synch board that will, work on our catleaps, if so how did you hear of this, and any idea when its available with the likely estimated costs, it would be fantactic if this did happen

Administrator
    Thanks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone View Post
    So are you saying NVidia will be producing a G synch board that will, work on our catleaps, if so how did you hear of this, and any idea when its available with the likely estimated costs, it would be fantactic if this did happen

It's possible that I may have misunderstood the statement. But if what I was told is accurate, and Asus's statement about why they went with a TN display instead of an IPS display is accurate, then it seems the 2 parts fit. As or when such a thing would be available, I don't know. I also don't know if there are plans to sell those boards as part of a DIY kit or just to be used by manufacturers. Worst case scenario...if these boards are made and are not available as part of a DIY kit, we can do a community project to get the IPS monitors made. Based on preliminary details, I could have IPS GSYNC 1440p 120Hz "A Grade" units ready for retail for $599.

p.s. GSYNC Board that works with our panel doesn't necessarily mean GSYNC board that fits in our monitors. Modifications or possibly new housing may be required.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to HyperMatrix For This Useful Post:

Tone (01-31-2014)

"Worst case scenario...if these boards are made and are not available as part of
    a DIY kit, we can do a community project to get the IPS monitors made. Based on
    preliminary details, I could have IPS GSYNC 1440p 120Hz "A Grade" units ready
    for retail for $599"

Hi thanks for the reply
    If you did get these make again, and you could deliver to the UK, Id definitely be interested, here is hoping
    Thanks Again

i would buy it because its sooooooooooooooooooooooo saxy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzz!!!!!!!!!!!! if looks could killl!!!!
    i7 5820K | MSI Gaming 7 | H105 | 16GB Geil Super Luce 3400MHZ | 900D | MSI GTX980Ti Gaming | Antec HCP1000 Platinum | RevoDrive 3 | Neutron GTX 240GB | Catleap Extreme 2B 1440p 120hz LED | Z5500 | Tiamats 7.1 | K95 | M90 | Asus Phoebus

Visitors found this page by searching for

None