I killed the Catleap today...
Join Today
+ Reply to Thread

I killed the Catleap today...

R.I.P - it was the best screen I ever had or used, and I am filled with sorrow.

Used and abused since 2011 or 2012 when I bought it off this site for $350 I think (I caught the first batch). 120Hz, no dead pixels, gorgeous contrast, black levels, colors and glossy finish.

It took a wallop when moving last month, from a bed falling over - the bezel cracked in two, but it survived - still worked, and the bezel could be pieced back together.

Today I removed the plastic arc and stand to put it on a monitor arm, following instructions on this site. (Yes, I used washers when screwing the vesa mount on). Back together on the arm, tested it, and it worked. Yay!

Then. I turned everything off, moved the computer, and re-routed all the cables.

And the screen was black. Power LED green, but no image, no backlight. Somehow, something I did when disconnecting all the cables and connecting them again, caused it to die.

Took it apart and back together two more times, still no backlight or sign of image.

PCB looks fine. Everything connected like it should.

I now finally have to accept that it is dead, my precious Catleap.

Big sigh.

My second monitor is now my main screen. A Dell UltraSharp U2715H. It is good, mind you - but it just can't compete with the Catleap. It has no DVI port, and the HDMI port will not take 1440p at 60Hz, only 59.95, which requires a custom modeline. And it has anti-glare coating, which is annoying - it makes the screen look dirty and magnifies reflections.

Anyone wanna sell me a 2B catleap?

Edit: I remember one instance when putting the DVI cable back into the Catleap - I used a screwdriver to fasten the DVI cable "screws", and I heard a little snap when tightening it too much. Maybe this killed it...?
    Last edited by waperboy; 04-22-2017 at 10:36 AM.
    Ubuntu 12.04 on: CPU: i7 3770K @3.5GHz w Corsair H100, RAM: 32Gb Corsair Dominator 1600,
    GPU: Asus nVidia GTX680. TFT: Yamakasi Catleap 27" @120Hz

I found HyperMatrix's link to a seller on eBay who sold PCB's, went ahead and ordered one.

It's strange how there's still no other option on the market that has the features I want - glossy IPS, 120Hz, 27" 1440p.
    Ubuntu 12.04 on: CPU: i7 3770K @3.5GHz w Corsair H100, RAM: 32Gb Corsair Dominator 1600,

Administrator
    Thanks
    Images
    I've had one of those PCB's blow up on me for absolutely no reason before. Replaced it with another one. Because as you said, there's still no glossy option available. I have both the 144Hz and 165Hz 2560x1440 GSYNC/IPS monitor, but lack of glossy is really sad. I still use a couple of these monitors at work for non-gaming related use. I'm a little too addicted to GSYNC and 165Hz. Even the next round of high-end monitors with 4K, GSYNC, IPS, HDR, and Full-Array backlight, won't be Glossy. Which is really unfortunate.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to HyperMatrix For This Useful Post:

SWIN (04-28-2017)

Happy days!

I got the replacement board the other day, and today I installed it - and my Catleap is back, in all its glossy 120Hz IPS glory!
    The PCB was all but identical to the old one. It came with a TCON board too, but I didn't have to install the TCON.

I took the opportunity to place some adhesive rubber 'dots' as spacers on the metal shielding behind the PCB and also under the VESA screw holes, to ensure no shorting-out will happen.

So now, my trusty old GTX 780 Ti drives my Catleap, DELL, and a 1080p TV.

I hope I can get another 5 years out of it - maybe preemptively ordering another PCB would be wise.

Visitors found this page by searching for

None