120Hz smooth scrolling in Google Chrome
Join Today
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

120Hz smooth scrolling in Google Chrome

Note: This post originally linked to a different extension. I have since found a replacement for it that is even better, so I basically just deleted the entire original post.

I found another Chrome Extension HERE that provides even better 120Hz smooth scrolling: It's on the Chrome extension store and it's called SmoothScroll (currently version 1.2.2). The author has it open source on Github, which is pretty awesome. The easing animation with this one is super smooth, and it also comes with middle-click auto-scroll that is also entirely butter smooth as well.
    Last edited by unphased; 04-06-2013 at 06:24 PM.
    Silverstone SG06: 2500K@4.5Ghz on Corsair H80 Push+Pull Scythe Kama Flow 2, Gigabyte GTX 670 2GB, ASRock Z68M-ITX/HT, 16GB Patriot DDR3-1600 @1T, OCZ Vertex 3 120GB

2. The Following User Says Thank You to unphased For This Useful Post:

Rusty Dusty (10-01-2012)

Thanks
    Ya, one of the best extensions for chrome. It worked unbelievable on the FW900 CRT due it's super fast motion. I could scroll fast and see crystal clear text. Also works well on my 2ms TN panels. It works pretty good on the 2B catleap, but there is a bit of smearing due to the lower pixel response time, but still worth getting.

Thanks
    I find the firefox version a bit unresponsive and jerky compared to Chromes version, and the built in smoothing in IE9 and IE10. This is in Windows 8. I have a core i7 3930k at 4.5ghz and a gtx 580

I prefer SmoothScroll: http://www.2shared.com/file/sASEQ3q6...croll_106.html

It's not available in the Extensions store, and you have to install it by dragging the .crx file to the extensions pane. The only issue is if you have multiple monitors, the scrolling will sync at >60Hz only if you put Chrome in full screen mode.

Make sure you turn off "pulse algorithm."

Firefox's native smooth scrolling is actually pretty good now. You can make it faster by adjusting the mousewheel.withnokey.numlines value in about:config.

Thanks
    I adjusted the smoothness settings in Chromium wheel smooth scroller and it is much better, but still not as good as IE9/10. Neither firefox or opera next is Could it be that IE10 runs in kernel mode or are using undocumented internal Microsoft APIs? Or that they are cross platform while IE10 is programmed especially for Windows Vista/7/8?

Quote Originally Posted by DarkUltra View Post
    I adjusted the smoothness settings in Chromium wheel smooth scroller and it is much better, but still not as good as IE9/10. Neither firefox or opera next is Could it be that IE10 runs in kernel mode or are using undocumented internal Microsoft APIs? Or that they are cross platform while IE10 is programmed especially for Windows Vista/7/8?

In Chrome, go to about:flags and enable hardware acceleration for all pages, and make sure threaded compositing is OFF (having it on will limit you to 60Hz). The FPS counter is cool but actually useless above 60 Hz. At 120 Hz it will read 66 or 0. FRAPS will tell you the framerate.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Netwebber For This Useful Post:

unphased (08-25-2012)

Netwebber I'm not sure if enabling your suggestion actually made a difference or not but I have to say that scrolling around in pages on every other display device is a major eyesore for me now that I've experienced it on my 120Hz Catleap.

Thanks to everybody here (especially Hyper and Scribby) for pushing my techno-snobbiness to new heights. I can't stand scrolling webpages in the 60Hz monitors anymore. Even the buttery smooth 60Hz web browsing experience of the iPad3 is beginning to bug me.
    Silverstone SG06: 2500K@4.5Ghz on Corsair H80 Push+Pull Scythe Kama Flow 2, Gigabyte GTX 670 2GB, ASRock Z68M-ITX/HT, 16GB Patriot DDR3-1600 @1T, OCZ Vertex 3 120GB

Thanks
    I added Chromium Wheel Smoother and the changes in Netwbber's post and I don't see any difference?

Do I have to play around with the settings? It looks way overcomplicated for something to smooth scrolling... lol
    | i5 2500K @ 4.0GHz | H60 | Z68A | EVGA SC GTX 580x2 SLI | Corsair AX 1200w |
    | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 1600 | 2560x1440 S-IPS @ 100Hz | Antec 1200 |

Make sure the Catleap is your primary monitor in Windows and that you launch Chrome on the monitor. Also try it with the Catleap as the only monitor. If that doesn't work, try the other extension I linked to.

Visitors found this page by searching for

chrome 120hz

smooth scroll chrome

120hz chrome

windows 8 smooth scrolling

google chrome 120hz

google chrome smooth scrollingwindows smooth scrolling like ipad chromegoogle chrome 120 hz120hz.net smooth scrollinggoogle chrome smooth scrolling extensionchrome not smooth scrolling ipadgoogle chrome not scrolling smoothlyipad chrome not smoothchromw windows native smooth scroll120hz scrolling120hz smooth scrollchrome does not scroll smoothly in win8chrome windows native smooth scrollsmooth scrolling for windows vista chromegoogle chrome flags for 120hz viewingchromium smooth scrollnot smooth scrolling in google chromesmooth scrolling windows 7 chromechrome not smoothsmooth scrolling chrome windows 8